The Ministry of Education of Northern and Eastern Syria has published the number of schools in the region of Cizire and Euphrates that have been targeted by the invading Turkish army in 9 days. The Ministry makes an urgent and humanitarian appeal to UNICEF, child rights organizations and all humanitarian organizations to intervene quickly and pressure international society to stop the attacks.
They issue the following statement:
Attacks by the invading Turkish state and its violent militias are committing crimes on civilians in Northern and Eastern Syria. These savage attacks have affected all health and education places in the North and East of Syria. When our children should be in their classrooms studying, they are being martyred, injured or displaced by the attacks. The invading Turkish army has knowingly targeted schools. With these statistics we share with the general public the number of schools in the regions of Cizire and Euphrates that have been targeted in 9 days. 810 schools have closed their services because of the attacks of the invading Turkish army. That is why the education process has been stopped. More than 86,000 students have been left without education and 5,224 teachers have left their jobs.
Serekaniye region and surrounding villages:
- The total number of schools is 150, none of which are open, 20 of which have been totally destroyed.
- The number of students left without education is 17,526.
- 1,409 teachers have left the education process.
Til Temir Region:
- The number of schools closed is 120
- The number of students who have been left without education is 7,633.
- 849 teachers have left the education process.
- The total number of schools closed is 114.
- 983 teachers have left the education process.
Canton of Gire Spi and its villages:
- The number of schools closed is 426.
- The number of students left without an education is 51,200.
- 1,983 teachers have left the education process.
In addition, 3 schools in Qamishlo, 35 in Hasake and 2 in Girke Lege have been evacuated.
As Ministry of Education of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, we condemn the attacks of the invading Turkish army on children and schools. We make an urgent and humanitarian appeal to UNICEF, child rights organizations and all humanitarian organizations to intervene quickly and put pressure on the international community to stop the attacks on the regions and put a stop to the damage the population is suffering from the attacks.
Education Commission of North and Eastern Syria
18th October, 2019