Report of the Economy Committee of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria. From 9th October, 2019 until 5th November, 2019
Agriculture is the main pillar of the regional economy. Then Turkey attacked. The crops that were produced by the population have been looted. Attacks against the agriculture of the region have been carried out as a method of control.
Losses as a consequence of Turkish attacks perpetrated in the region:
- The area of agricultural land in Tel Abyad (Gire Spi) was 4,750,000 donim. Specifically:
- The area the agricultural land in Tel Abyad was 4,750,000 donim. From these:
- 600,000 donim were irrigated land.
- 4,150,000 donim were non-irrigated land.
- The area of the agricultural land in Sere Kaniye was 1,440,000 donim. From these:
- 16,650 donim were dedicated to barley.
- 7,650 donim were dedicated to non-irrigated wheat.
- 3,175 donim were dedicated to irrigated wheat.
- 42,000 donim were dedicated to cotton.
- Silos from the regions that have been pillaged.
- Silo Dehliz in Tel Abyad: 700 tons of wheat and 21,000 tons of barley.
- Silo Sakhirat in Tel Abyad: This Silo, that was destroyed, contained more than 11,700 tons of wheat.
- Amount of clean seeds in Tel Abyad: 800
- Silo Aliye: 15,000 tons of wheat
- Silo Safih: 9,000 tons of wheat
- Silo Mabruka: 1,500 tons of wheat seeds ready to be planted.
- Between the Silos of Safih and Mabruka there were 12,000 tons of barley.
- Total amount of the wheat contained in the silos of Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad was 42,700 tons in addition of 2,300 tons of seeds.
- Total amount of barley contained in Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad was 33,000 tons.
- The amount of cotton stolen in the Silo Safih of Sere Kaniye was 2,600 tons.
- Of course there were also fertilizers in the warehouses.
Fertilizers pillaged by occupying Turkish forces and its proxies in the regions of Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad:
- Fertilizer stored in the warehouses of Tel Abyad:
- Yara fertilizers: 600 tons
- Sulfur phosphate: 1000 tons
- Fertilizers in the warehouses of Sere Kaniye
- Barid fertilizers (in the Aliye’s warehouse): 1,250
- Barid fertilizers (in the Sefih warehouses): 1,000
- The total amount of fertilizer previously stored in in the warehouses of Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad was 3,850 tons.
The number livestock in Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad that were pillaged by the occupying Turkish forces and its proxies:
- Cows: 2,000
- Goats and sheep: 70,000
- Cows: 4,370
- Sheep: 121,000
- Goats: 81,000
- The total number of pillaged livestock in both regions was 278,370.
Water sources in both regions:
- Rivers and springs in Sere Kaniye:
Khabur river: This river flows from many springs of Sere Kaniye. These are the springs and wells:
- Kibrite’s spring
- Hisan’s spring (also called Hesp spring) and and North Zerka spring (also called shin spring).
- South Zerka spring, Malihe spring and Fewar spring.
The main sources of potable water are:
- Water production of Kibrit’s spring: 20,000 L/h
- Water production of North Zerka spring: 8,000 L/h
Wells in Sere Kaniye:
- Number of wells for agricultural consumption: 40
- Number of wells for domestic consumption : 37
- Total number of wells: 77
River and spring of Tel Abyad:
- Arus’s spring (main spring in Tel Abyad)
- Balikh river
- Fermokh river.
- Hashishe river
- The number of the authorized mechanical water extractions from these rivers and sources was 4,100.
The effects of the Turkish attacks on cross-border trade in Semalka and Siwediya:
The cross-border trade has continued despite the Turkish attacks. Imports and exports are also continuing. Now after the attacks, the transportation of goods is half of what is was at its maximum before the invasion. As a result of the Turkish threats some merchants have ceased trading altogether. According to our information, most goods can be found in the Rojava region, though the price of some goods have increased abnormally and other are no longer available. Some stock is being held in warehouses in order to drive up the prices.
Price comparison before and after the Turkish attacks:
|Before the attacks||Once the attacks started|
|Sugar: 375-400 SYP/kg||Sugar: 500 SYP/kg|
|Vegetable oil 4L 1,800 SYP||Vegetable oil 4L 2900 SYP|
|Multi-usage detergent 2kg 1700 SYP||Multi-usage detergent 1900 SYP|
|Milk powder “Nido” 1400 SYP/L||Milk “Nido” 1700. LS|
|Macaroni 400g 125-150 SYP||Macaroni 400g 200 SYP|
|Sunflower oil “Zer” 9600 SYP/Pack||Sunflower oil “Zer” 10,400 SYP/Pack|
Some goods such as coffee and canned foods, increased by 100 SYP. In fact, most goods increased by 100-150 SYP. Some varieties of tea and rice are no longer available in the market. The merchants are attempting to monopolize the market of certain products such as sugar.
Trade and manufacture retailers
There were trade and manufacture retailers in the regions of Tel Abyad and Sere Kaniye, which were pillaged by Turkish occupying forces and its proxies, as it follows:
- Tel Abyad: The total number of shops was approximately 800-1,000. 300 of which were manufacturing shops, 57 were trade retailers and the rest were general retails.
- Sere Kaniye: The total number of shops was 1,200. Including 500 manufacturing shops, 400 trade retailers and 500 general retailers.
There were many bakeries in the regions of Tel Abyad and Sere Kaniye which were later pillaged by the Turkish occupying forces and its proxies.
- Bakeries of Sere Kaniye
|Bakery’s name||Flour consume|
|Seqir Kureish||950 kg/day|
|Hilaliye Jedide||3950 kg/day|
|Menajir||5000- 6000 kg/day|
In the region of Tel Abyad the total number of bakeries was 17. They used 400 tons of flour in bread production.
As in the entirety of North and East Syria, the regions of Tel Abyad and Sere Kaniye many cooperatives were established. In Tel Abyad there were approximately 9 cooperatives. Approximately 300 families benefited from these cooperatives. In Sere Kaniye, the cooperatives focused on agriculture; as a result, tens of agricultural cooperatives were established. There were also several women’s cooperatives, a good example of this is the Mesopotamia bakery. All these cooperatives have been looted by Turkey and its proxies.
All the workshops in the regions of Tel Abyad and Sere Kaniye were looted by Turkey and its proxies.
Workshops of Sere Kaniye:
|Sere Kaniye, way to Tel Halaf||Bulgur factory||Amar Abdu and associated|
|Sere Kaniye- Alok||Grain processing plant||Ahmed Izedin Abdulah|
|Sere Kaniye- Kerach Hajiz||Sugar shop||Hasen Ali Shekho|
|Sere Kaniye- Before Sinaha||Grain processing plant||Muhammad Nayif Meo|
|Sere Kaniye- Before Sinaha||Cotton processing plant||Muhammad Nayif Meo|
|Sere Kaniye- Safeh||Cotton processing plant||Khaled Abdulhamid Jawish|
|Sere Kaniye- Safeh||Grain processing plant||Khaled Abdulhamid Jawish|
|Sere Kaniye- Aliye||Ice factory||Fadi Hamid Muhammad|
|Sere Kaniye- Tel Halaf||Oil press||Amar Abdu and associateds|
|Sere Kaniye- Um Jefre||Industrial scale||Muhammad Nayîf Meo|
|Sere Kaniye- Ekar Nedas||Chips factory||Muhammad Nayif Meo|
|Sere Kaniye||Chips factory||Rodi Ismet Lali|
|Sere Kaniye- Diwelan||Grain processing plant||Ferech Jasim Abdu|
|Sere Kaniye- after the Tel Halaf municipality||Industrial bakery||Abduljabar Sioud|
Workshop and buildings of Tel Abyad
|Type of building||Address||Account|
|Grain processing plant||Tel Abyad||7|
|Industrial bakery||Tel Abyad||5|
|Ice factory||Tel Abyad||8|
|Brick’s workshop||Tel Abyad||42|
|Pipe factory||Tel Abyad||6|
|Vegetable oil press||Tel Abyad||1|
|Chips factory||Tel Abyad||1|
|Cotton processing plant||Tel Abyad||4|
|Chicken farm||Tel Abyad||28|
|Pipes rubber factory||Tel Abyad||3|
|Cleaning products workshop||Tel Abyad||3|
|Ice-cream workshop||Tel Abyad||4|
The total number of workshops in Sere Kaniye and Tel Abyad was 131.
Number of IDP from Tel Abyad and Sere Kaniye
Displaced from Sere Kaniye:
|Regions of displacement||Number of people (accounted)||Count of people (written)|
|Hesekeh||131,000||Hundred thirty-one thousand|
|Tel Tamer||11,836||Eleven thousand eight hundred thirty-six|
|Derbesiye||3,500||Three thousand five hundred|
|Qamishlo||1,676||Thousand six hundred seventy-six|
|Lege||1,188||Thousand hundred eighty-eight|
|Camps in Kurdistan Region (Iraq)||13,000||Thirteen thousand|
|Total number||162,500 displaced||Hundred sixty-two thousand five|
The total of number of displaced from Sere Kaniye is 162,500. This includes women and children.
- 90,000 total women
- 45,000 children (girls and boys)
- 500 pregnant and breast feeding women
- 960 infants
- 219 disabled people (female and male)
- 38 children separated from their families
The psychological situation of some women and children is very unstable after the trauma they have experienced during attacks and displacement. The lack of options and a clear future creates a sense of apprehension.
Tel Abyad IDPs
There are estimated to be 3,000 families. This includes children, women and the elderly. Most of them are currently in Raqqa, Ain Aysa and Kobane. Many of them are staying in schools and other public buildings.